Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Lighter Burden

If there's one thing that breaks my heart, it's seeing people, even Christians, struggling through life, trying to accomplish it all on their own. In their own power, in their own might, which if it's anything like my own power and might, I'd make to the coffee pot and have no will to continue on with my day.

My devotions in Numbers this morning brought me to an ocean of encouragement: Moses was saying to God...

 " I am not able to bear all these people alone, because the burden is too heavy for me." (Numbers 11:14)

Now, Moses was about in the same place as a president or king. He was leading a nation of hundreds of thousands of people. And those hundreds of thousands of people were not a bunch of saints either. Every time Moses turned around they were complaining about something. They even wished at times to be back in bondage in Egypt. And that's where we find Moses... crying out to the Lord because these people were complaining that they didn't have some of the luxuries they enjoyed in Egypt, under bondage. God had performed wondrous miracles to first free them, and then provide for them in the wilderness. They were complaining again... and Moses was feeling in over his head.

Moses had 3 options:

1. Deal with it in his own power
2. Give it all up
3. Surrender it to God, and rest in His strength

He took option three, and God heard his cry and later in the Numbers 11, He dispersed some of the responsibilities to 70 other guys. Oh, sweet rest for Moses' wearied soul.

Jesus promises us in Matthew 11:18-30:  " Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”


If you are feeling like Moses today, and your "burden is too heavy," give it to God and let Him empower you and overwhelm you in His rest. God will respond to a surrendered heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment